Why Do Cosmetologists and Estheticians Need Liability Insurance?
As a beauty professional, one of the last things you probably have thought about when it comes to your business is insurance. While it might not be on the forefront of your mind, it is more important than ever to have a policy that fits your needs! Regardless of whether you are self-employed or work for a salon or spa, there are a number of reasons to have insurance specific to you and your industry.
The unfortunate truth about being either a cosmetologist or esthetician is that accidents inevitably do happen. The purpose of purchasing a cosmetologist or esthetician liability insurance policy is to protect you from the financial burdens related to accidents. To help put the need for liability insurance into perspective, if someone were to get injured while receiving your services, would you be able to cover their hospital bills? Or if someone were to break into your vehicle and steal your beauty supplies, would you be in a financial position to replace them to continue working? While these are just a few situations that could occur, the main thing to remember is that having insurance could mean the difference between staying in business or not.
Some important coverages to consider when searching for a liability policy include:
- General Liability (standard slip & fall insurance, or covers theft if there is visible evidence of the theft)
- Professional Liability (especially if you are a cosmetology instructor or an esthetics instructor)
- Business Personal Property (for your supplies and equipment)
- Personal & Advertising Injury (covers you for things like plagiarism, slander, and privacy violations)
- Damage to Premises Rented to You (if you work out of a space you are renting, this covers damage to that space)
- Products & Completed Operations
- Medical Expenses (to pay medical bills of an injured person)
You might think that a policy that covers you and your work in so many ways would be expensive, but in reality, specialized liability insurance for cosmetologists and estheticians is more accessible than ever. Whether you are a hair stylist, nail technician, body painter, or makeup artist, seriously consider getting an insurance policy that will cover you when the unavoidable and unexpected happens!
What are your thoughts on this topic? Share them with us on our Facebook page!