Congratulations! You’ve completed the required 1,500 hours (unless the Texas House Bill 1705 passes) to get your license, taken and passed your exam, and secured a location to work at—the next step is to start earning money. But before you pull out your clippers or lather up some shaving cream for your first client, you’ll want to think about obtaining barber insurance to protect your business from any potential lawsuits or accidents.
Insurance can be confusing for pretty much everyone, so in this blog, we’ll cover some basic information about the importance of liability insurance and answer questions like, “Why do I need barber insurance?” Hopefully, we’ll be able to help you select the best insurance for your professional needs.
What does barber insurance cover?
Barber insurance can help protect you and your business from the financial impact of a liability claim. Even if you are careful, chemicals, sharp cutting tools, and heat from styling tools could cause injury to your clients. And, unfortunately, you could be found liable for a variety of expenses in each of these situations (and others) including medical bills, repair costs, and legal fees.
Barber insurance, provided by Beauty & Bodywork Insurance (BBI), offers the following coverages:
- General Liability—coverage for bodily injury or property damage caused by direct or indirect actions of the insured person.
- Professional Liability—coverage for liability incurred as a result of errors and omissions in performing your professional services.
- Inland Marine/Business Personal Property—coverage for your business personal property like equipment, supplies, or inventory.
Aside from these coverage descriptions, there are specific exclusions to barber insurance and limits that apply.
What insurance does a barber need and how much does it cost?
Ultimately, the insurance coverage you end up purchasing will depend on what you need coverage for, or—in some cases—are required to obtain. For example, if you rent a space at a barbershop or studio, the owner may require you to obtain liability insurance and list them as an additional insured before they allow you to occupy the rented space.
At BBI, you have multiple options to choose from in relation to barber insurance. These options include the following:
- Professional Liability Policy—includes General Liability and Professional Liability coverage and costs $96.
- Additional Insured Endorsement—you can add one additional insured for $15 or unlimited additional insureds for a flat $30.
What claims has BBI covered?
Having barber insurance can offer you peace of mind knowing that you’re insured for any potential problem that is covered by your policy. To give you an idea of what type of scenarios could potentially occur, we’ve listed a few actual claims that we have covered below:
- A claimant was poked in the eye inadvertently during a haircut causing an eye abrasion.
- The back window of an insured claimant’s business was broken into. Several hair supplies and a camera were stolen.
- A claimant slipped and fell on the business premises.
All policies have conditions, limitations, and exclusions, please read the policy for exact verbiage. Claim scenario circumstances vary in nature and similar claims do not guarantee coverage.
As you can see, a variety of scenarios could occur that could put you or your business at risk. However, you can decrease those risks by obtaining barber insurance.
We know your business is just as important and unique as the types of haircuts and services you provide. Whether you’re a recent graduate, or you’ve been practicing barbering for a period of time, it’s worth taking the time to understand how barber insurance can help protect you and your business.
At BBI, you can fill out an application within minutes and print out proof of insurance directly online. Give yourself peace of mind knowing you are covered and focus on other important tasks like perfecting that sick fade. Purchase barber insurance today!